Access to Ray Mill Island is from Ray Mead Road and across the road bridge at Boulters Lock. Walk past Boulters Restaurant and cross the pedestrian bridge onto the island.
The Island’s name dates from when the Ray family managed a flourmill here. The site was acquired by Maidenhead Borough Council in 1950 from the Conservators of the River Thames.
At the northern end of the Island you will find Boulter’s Weir, one of 50 remaining on the Thames. Managed by the Environment Agency, they maintain water levels so that boats can pass through the adjacent lock, control land drainage and ensure that water is available for public consumption.
On the island there is an Aviary and Guinea Pig enclosure, a cafe with picnic tables and public toilets. There are some wooden animals dotted around for imaginative play and small play area for children aged 3-8 years. Also home to the “Vintage Boys” statue by Lydia Pakpinska, see her other works of Nicholas Winton and The Boy and Boat.
As part of the 1979 Thames Salmon Re-habilitation Scheme, the last Salmon ladder to be built on the Thames was opened at Boulters Weir on 19 May 2000 by the Duke of Wellington.
Ray Mill Island is accessed from the main road from Maidenhead towards Cookham, Ray Mill Road.
Ray Mill Island, Ray Mill Rd, Maidenhead, England SL6 8LW, United Kingdom
3 Comments Add yours