The Church was consecrated on 16th April 1850 by the Rt.Rev. Samual Wilberforce, Bishop of Reading. Because the foundation stone was laid on 1st May, the festival of St. Philip & St. James, the building was dedicated to St. James-the-Less. The side aisle was added to the church in 1854.
The foundation stone of Stubbings Church was laid on 1st May 1849. The land had been purchased by Henry Skrine, who was living at Stubbings House at the time, having moved from the family estate at Warleigh, near Bath. He decided to build a church for the use of his family and the local residents.
The Church was first served by Reverend Edward Thring and by Reverend. G.N.Hodson of Cookham Dean. Mr. Skrine proceeded to build a vicarage and endow the living, to which his second son, Reverend W.H.Skrine was presented and went into residence as the first vicar, in November 1852. In 1874 the parish of Stubbings was created out of parts of Bisham and Cookham. In 1991 the parishes of Stubbings and Hurley became a united benefice (independent parishes but under the care of one vicar) and the parish of Burchetts Green was formed in June 2002 by the amalgamation of the parishes of Stubbings, Hurley and Littlewick Green.
The Lychgate was erected by the parishioners in 1887 in memory of the first vicar, Reverend Wadham Huntley Skrine.
St James-The-Less Church is located on Henley Road, just past the entrance to Stubbings Nursery Garden Centre.